Chlorpyrifos (“klor-PEER-a-foss”) is an insecticide sprayed as a fine mist on many U.S. crops, including apples, oranges, strawberries, broccoli, almonds, walnuts, cherries, peaches, pears, corn, and wheat. It is linked to brain damage and developmental delays in children. People come into contact mostly through food, tainted drinking water, and “spray mist,” a fog generated by spraying pesticides over fields.
In agricultural communities near factory farms, chlorpyrifos residue can be found on picnic benches, lawns, and playground equipment. The EPA proposed a complete ban on chlorpyrifos in 2015, citing significant risks to children and farmworkers. In a risk analysis published in 2016, the agency said children were exposed to up to 140 times the safe levels of the pesticide through food alone. Scott Pruitt, head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), ignored the recommendations of his agency’s own scientists and rejected a ban on chlorpyrifos.
Knowing where our food comes from is important to Localvores and you can be sure of avoiding Chlorpyrifos if your fruits and veggies come from the local farms listed below:
These area farms say they don’t use chlorpyrifos:
- 4 Corners Farm, Newbury, Vt. *
- Champlain Orchards, Shoreham, Vt. *
- Crossroad Farm, Post Mills, Vt. *
- Deep Meadow, Ascutney, Vt. *
- Edgewater Farm, Plainfield, N.H. *
- Glacial Grooves, Etna, N.H. *
- Killdeer Farm, Norwich, Vt. *
- Long Wind Farm, East Thetford, Vt. *
- Luna Bleu Farm, Royalton, Vt. *
- MacLennan Farm, Windsor, Vt. *
- Pete’s Greens, Craftsbury, Vt. *
- Pierson Farm, Bradford, Vt. *
- RT 5 Farm, Fairlee, Vt. *
- Spring Ledge Farm, New London, N.H. *
- Sunny Brook Farm, Sharon, Vt. *
- Sunrise Organic Farm, White River Junction, Vt. *
- Sweetland Farm, Norwich, Vt.
- Walhowdon Farm, Lebanon, N.H. *
✱ These farms are Co-op suppliers.
For an update see http://coopnews.coop/a-year-ago-the-government-rejected-a-ban-on-this-pesticide-where-do-things-stand-today/
The Co-op’s original article on Chlorpyrifos is at http://coopnews.coop/the-government-refused-to-ban-this-pesticide-here-are-some-local-farms-who-wont-use-it/